Homesteading Resources

Do you have suggestions for this page? See Contribute.

All-around resources

  • Extension — Alabama Cooperative Extension System (ACES) — provides free and low-cost education, events, permitting, and services related to gardening, farming, food, health, trees, and water.
  • If you'd like to sell your homegrown & handmade goods, be aware of the state's requirements that apply to your item(s), such as for a Grower's Permit or a food safety certification to sell Cottage Foods, as described at Selling Your Goods.
  • Most of Alabama's snake species are not venomous; this guide identifies those that are. Got snakes? Contact Tony for free removal. See Landscape Services.

Food preservation


  • Gardening advice is available from Alabama's Master Gardener Helpline, 1-877-ALA-GROW, and classes and documentation are available from Alabama Cooperative Extension System (ACES).
  • Auburn University's Soil, Forage & Water Testing Laboratory provides analysis of soil ($7 per sample), forage & feed, plant tissue, water, chicken litter, lime, manure, and compost. SoilKit is another option.
  • Auburn University's water sample analysis evaluates irrigation systems, wells, and ponds; the laboratory is not EPA certified for drinking water analysis.
  • Live and let live: free snake removal is available.
  • The Grower’s Permit allows you to sell your vegetables, fruit, legumes, nuts, eggs, transplants, or ornamentals anywhere in Alabama and without owing sales tax.
  • Cawaco RC&D Council supports Alabama school gardens and community gardens with Free Seeds, available to all. Nonprofits and municipalities may also apply for RC&D Grows Gardens mini-grants of $500 to $1500.

chickens, horses, other animals

  • Heather offers her chicken processing equipment for rent.
  • For equine hoof care, Jennifer Arnold of Driftwood Ferrier is recommended by Katherine and Raetta. Jennifer is based in Montevallo and travels to Pine Mountain and Springville. 205-895-5813.
  • Blount County Animal Adoption Center can reduce spay/neuter costs for low-income Blount County residents. Call 205-625-6026.